Monday, December 15, 2008

A Few Things I've Learned...


...While Recovering from a Tonsillectomy:
For those of you who know me, this is what I've been up to for the last week.
For those of you "googling" adult tonsillectomy, like I have been for the past week, I hope to add a bit of humor to the process.
No matter how romantic it sounds, recovering from a tonsillectomy is not all about eating ice cream after you wake up from surgery. Water, good. Anything more solid than that, bad.
Don't be too grumpy towards your spouse. They will come in handy when retrieving your medicine from the counter and mashed potatoes from KFC.
You will feel like a lump. You will not want to do anything. You will get up, go to the door to let your pet outside 2-3 times a day (if they are lucky, and only because they have been whining a very long time) and you will consider this your exercise for the day.
Pets do aid in recovery (as long as they are outside when awake and cuddled up next to you when asleep.
No matter how curious you are, do not look in the back of your throat. Leave this disgusting and dangerous job up to a professional doctor. And...if your spouse starts to get the flashlight out so he/she can look in the back of your throat, exclaim that you suddenly feel better, and there is no need for him/her to look.
When sleeping during the middle of the day, do not leave the T.V. on a talk show. All the loud clapping and thunderous applause will wake you from a previously peaceful sleep for no reason at all, unless you really need to see the newest Oprah episode.
Even though you will feel like a vegetable, I do recommend having music or the T.V. on during the day. Both are quite good at distracting you from the pain.
If a major holiday is approaching, you will not feel like celebrating or decorating. I highly recommend getting practical here. My newest box of kleenex is decked out in a tacky, shiny red background with vintage-looking Christmas ornaments. Perfect. Maybe tomorrow I'll gather all the presents around it.

Labels:

11 Comments:

Blogger Sean said...

That's pretty funny... Who wrote it for you? It sounds like you may be ready for work?...

KFC for dinner again it take it?...

10:15 PM  
Blogger The Noisy Plume said...

Poor tonsil-less baby.
Wish I were there to water your dog and beat some Idaho Potatoes for you.

Potatoes in a BOAT!
Potatoes in her throat!

Potatoes in the truck console!
Potatoes no where near her tonsil!!!

Sing it to me now sister!!!

By the way, I SAW that little Amy Butler belt buckle the other day and I knew you would like it...or wait...was it in the treasury you made the other day??? Is THAT where I saw it?

Beefy Boy and Turkey Tot woof hello and send cold noses and smooches.

WAG WAG.
XOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXO
Your Idahoan Sister

10:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh Sweetie! This sucks. And I don't mean sucking potatoes through a straw because it hurts to chew, even though that's probably true. I hope you feel better very, very soon.

10:11 AM  
Blogger Suzy ~ lorenzstudio said...

Hubby:
It took me a good part of the day to compose that in my head.
Brain = mush.

J:
Thanks for the potato love.
Gosh, how I love that Amy Butler. I have been curled up with my Amy Butler quilt every day during my recovery!

Wende:
No straws allowed! I even bought a package of straws thinking it might make taking a little sip of water every 3.5 seconds a little bit funner, only to find out straws are forbidden. Must they take everything away from me? :)
On a lighter note, the dog and I shared a bean, rice and cheese burrito yesterday. She got the tough chewy ends where the multiple layers of tortilla reside. I ate the yummy inside mushy part. It only took about an hour for me to finish it.

10:33 AM  
Blogger NixonsMamma said...

OH NO!!! Tonscilletcomty!!!???
I'm so sorry, Suzy!!! I wanna hear more details on why? how? how much longer for recovery?

ouchie??!!!

Ah man!
Sorry I've been so self-absorbed!
I had no idea you went under!

Hang in there!!!
Sending hugs!

*whatever you do while you're down, DON'T watch The View! It'll make you wanna shoot someone! Nix and I keep to KPBS! (8am Sid the Science Kid!) :)

10:30 PM  
Blogger Suzy ~ lorenzstudio said...

Thanks for the love, T!

You do not want to hear details!

10:02 AM  
Blogger Melissa Koehler said...

Oh my goodness!! I loved reading this. SO sorry you aren't feeling good. Our offer still stands to bring you something :)
Miss you

9:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry your not feeling well. Still no excuse not to get my stuff done. I pay the big bucks! JK. At least your keeping w/ the holiday spirit. Better then I'm doing. I will send the kids over to gather around the kleenex box. They will love it. I'll bring the hot coco.

Love ya and thanx for the gift certificates. Your the best sister in law ever!

10:49 AM  
Blogger Ginger said...

Wow, I am behind on blog reading! One of my favorite bloggers has lost body parts, and I didn't even know! Hope you are feeling 100% better by now.

I always fear the tonsillectomy. I had tonsillitis as a kid and mine are bigger than anyone's I've ever seen. Once I show one person in a group, I have to show everyone. I would totally ask to keep them in a jar, LOL.

5:25 PM  
Blogger Suzy ~ lorenzstudio said...

Oh Ginger...Sean DID ask the doctor if he could keep them. The doctor was not amused.

It is a New Year and I am feeling 99% better. Eating has never been so much fun! I have new-found energy and a spring in my step!

7:18 PM  
Blogger Ginger said...

That is awesome - yay Sean! Glad you are way better and enjoying what we all take for granted. Now, back to those morning jogs with the dog. :)

2:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home